Friday, June 2, 2017

Second-phase launch

Katherine and her daughter left today for Alaska, and Josephine and I moved into the big house for the duration of our stay. The house is beautiful and I am incredibly fortunate to be here... it'll be a bit of an adjustment to be out here alone.

Not entirely alone. Last night Katherine's father-in-law Chuck, her sister-in-law Carrie - with husband Paul and French exchange student Matisse - and Randy came over for pizza and we spent a nice evening on the patio. We exchanged phone numbers; in the likely event that there's trouble (spring well, septic, animal in distress...) I can call Chuck and he will come fix it or shoot it. Carrie has offered to let me borrow her cherry pitter for pies. Tonight she and I will meet Randy in town for the First Friday Art Walk. I'll be connected to a community, and that will be great.

After everyone left I put the chickens to bed. While the door was open Curly Joe the bottle-fed goat got into the coop. As soon as I'd wrestled him out the big white dog got in and I had to muscle her out. Minor abrasions were endured. All live on FaceTime. Probably should have put the phone down but these experiences really should be shared. :-D

Tomorrow morning painting starts. I've never had the opportunity to paint in isolation before and I'm interested to see how differently it feels. Kind of exciting.

Here's the patio where I'll paint:


 

I am on a great adventure.

Noteable things: 
* That strange sound I've been hearing turns out to be cow farts
* Most things that I would throw into the compost back home I can toss to the chickens; what they won't eat the goats will

No comments:

Post a Comment

August 22- Home!

We're home!    1,730 miles. Josephine is so happy to be back at Danya's house where it's familiar. What a relief, especially aft...