Sunday, August 6, 2017

August 6

A myopic cashier at HEB carded me (thank you, it's been a while) and when she saw the CA DL she asked if I was just visiting. I said I was spending the summer and she asked if I was planning to move here, because California... /shakes head/... 

I absolutely love it here but am anxious to get home to my next life.

The cows are bellowing, which makes me wonder if they're being moved to new pasture. I asked Chuck how he moves them and he said "Open the gate. They love new pasture."

Have decided to check putrification of raccoon before I leave and see if it's sufficiently corroded for me to take the skull to a taxidermist for cleaning. Is that weird? I mean, taxidermists are thick on the ground around here, which makes me think it's not weird. Maybe in California it would be. I dunno. Seems like a pretty comprehensive/holistic reminder of this trip. (Will wear gloves, promise.)

Blissfully quiet day. Enjoying solitude after a relatively social week. Probably shouldn't speak so soon, but nothing's died, nothing's broken, no one has showed up at the house or sent text invite, no upsets at home. Peaceful.

Well, actually, except I TOUCHED A SCORPION by accident. Putting the cover back on the grill and looked toward my hand at the second my fingers brushed it. It was dormant, had been sleeping in folds of cover. Yikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

August 22- Home!

We're home!    1,730 miles. Josephine is so happy to be back at Danya's house where it's familiar. What a relief, especially aft...