Tuesday, July 4, 2017

July 4

It was pretty hot today. Even the Texans were talking about it.

Had a great time at Carrie and Paul's Fourth of July party. I left before the fireworks but I can see a little bit of them from here.

- There were maybe 30-40 people there. Everyone was warm, friendly, and engaging. Great social fix.

- The men I met took off their hats and called me Ma'am. The women kept offering me chairs.

- Carrie's son apologized profusely again for scaring me the other night, told me that the bangs I'd been hearing all day were them shooting at clay pigeons, and offered to teach me to shoot when I suggested that might be something I should learn while I'm here. Super nice kid. He's on a full scholarship at aeronautical school.

- The BBQ was delicious and I ate way too much but don't regret it a bit. I ate outside with Chuck and a couple of the guys whose families also go back over a 100 years here and gained new perspectives on GMO crops, respectful application of local herbicide, and antibiotics in milk. Also learned that goats really live to make more goats, that chickens are brutal creatures that will eat anything, and that what an animal eats is not what we eat when we eat the animal that ate it (if you follow... it's a little hard for me to follow the shorthand).

One upper arm, and no other part of me, is completely covered in bug bites.

The goats were fed and the chickens put to bed and I was reminded of how hypnotically soothing it can be to stand for a few minutes watching (and listening to) a horse crop grass.

This, with a few state-centric differences, is where I was raised. I am a stranger visiting a place that feels like home, if that makes any sense. How lucky I am to be here and be so warmly welcomed to the party

No comments:

Post a Comment

August 22- Home!

We're home!    1,730 miles. Josephine is so happy to be back at Danya's house where it's familiar. What a relief, especially aft...