Sunday, July 16, 2017

July 16

Fed goats. Appreciate Ottmer cousin's husband's suggestion that I keep the tubs close to the fence so I can pour feed over, because goats lack boundaries when there's food involved.

Avoided scratches all over by giving the dogs love through the fence, too. They are mostly very large, and prone to full-body hugs. Except for Smiley, who is small enough to wriggle under the fence and get his affection close up. Sweet pea.

Stopped to say hi to Chuck (first in-person exchange I've had in maybe 3 days) and talk about putting up electric wire around the perimeter of the porch so the chickens won't poop all over it. The chickens are good company, but man, the poop.

Later Chuck came up to get a tool and a dozen eggs, and looked at some paintings. Good feedback. He saw peonies, and horses, and horses, and horses. "That one's my favorite" he said of my favorite. "Course it looks like its neck is broke, but I think it's a good one." I appreciate Chuck's sense of humor. 

I also truly appreciate his perspective. There is nothing like being a 5th-generation "libtard" Californian spending a summer on a ranch in Texas for opening a mind.

Typical high of mid-90s here at the house today, and am thinking that I'm going to freeze to death when I come home. 

Other highlights of the day: wasp sting between my toes (and the wasps STICK, it's not easy to brush them off), nice long walk after my toe stopped stinging (wasn't really so bad), shirked some responsibilities because it's Sunday.

Also pics of last night's toad. Which sounds suggestive but is actually literal.




 

* * *

Nothing new, really

A toad on the porch
A deer grazing on the lawn
Listening to rain approaching across the pasture
A tiny dead bird on the porch sofa this morning
(Why aren't there more bats? And why only one deer?)

The chickens have pegged me as not-scary and bringer-of-delicacies so they've taken to the porch, where they give me chicken-eye and, unfortunately, poop. I've told them to poop in the grass and not on the porch, but my powers only go so far. On the plus side they are keeping the bugs down, but watching them kill and eat a walking stick was discomfiting. And one of them got into the geranium and tipped the pot, trapping herself against the wall, and had to be rescued.

All nine remaining chickens are tucked in for the night but It is once again hard to make myself go to bed.

** Update: The dogs are barking, I think I just heard coyotes, the deer is lying down on the lawn, and I've got at least a half-dozen more mosquito bites.

No comments:

Post a Comment

August 22- Home!

We're home!    1,730 miles. Josephine is so happy to be back at Danya's house where it's familiar. What a relief, especially aft...